I mostly derive the strength of moving forward and finding the real meaning of living in the positive side of things that I see, think, read, experience, and interact with. When the thought of ‘Excellency’ jotted in my mind, there has been an intrapersonal tussle of becoming, within myself towards realizing this. Wherever I stay within the Kapsoya Estates of Eldoret town is an academy whose motto states, ‘’Excellence is a habit; not an act shine every day’’.
Again, my nose of getting to understand this concept of Rising to Excellence drew me to a number of quotes that could aptly sum up its meaning as follows: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle“If you hire people just because they can do a job, they’ll work for your money. But if you hire people who believe what you believe, they’ll work for you with blood and sweat and tears.” – Simon Sinek
“Write it. Shoot it. Publish it. Crochet it, sauté it, whatever. MAKE.” – Joss Whedon, “Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.” – Mary Kay Ash, “Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers.” – Socrates, “No one is to blame for your future situation but yourself. If you want to be successful, then become “Successful.”― Jaymin Shah,
These expose the message of excellence, though the conventional definition of Excellence is a state of quality of being outstanding, surpassing, exceeding, and even excelling. It is therefore a descriptive word for someone that functions or expresses the quality of being outstanding, surpassing and excelling. This is the degree of being extremely good, especially with regard to the standards of service or of something that has worked to produce.
Excellency is a journey that many people (including graduates and workers) have abandoned. Every individual is a diplomat of their area of assignment. This means that you can choose to perform your duty perfectly or with mediocrity. The most concrete reason as to why many people have abandoned this journey of doing their duties perfectly is the cost of Excellency: going an extra mile beyond the normal responsibility.
It is quite unfortunate that most learning institutions are producing mediocre graduates backed up with relevant skills and certificates of great honors! This is because Excellency is not tied to education alone; for it is extremely impossible to train your thoughts with education. It is a virtue i.e. the useful quality or attitude that shows high moral standards. It also comes from the inner heart i.e. who you really determine your level of Excellency: not what people say you are. This has to be stirred up in relation to your character, time, clarity of purpose, interpersonal skills as well as personal leadership.
The inner state of one’s heart is very vital in terms of mounting towards Excellency. It is not the container that defines the content; rather it is the content that defines the container. Your inner state of heart, when backed up with your skills produces perfection. Always give your best wherever you are, and whenever you have the opportunity to do so. By so doing, you will acquire a purpose.
As a sweeper, a cleaner, a businessman, a student, or any other employee: there is a need to change yourself (your thoughts and attitudes about working perfectly extra through great devotion for a change), for it is only in the change of self that make people excel. The life we live is only a privilege and a God-given gift to us and our generations but our pursuit for Excellency is our gift to God and other many people.
Excellence is not-self. I thought previously that maybe it is; as many people perform exemplary and acquire greatly honored certificates for life. That is not the case…..anything or anyone that lacks virtue & their hard work that does not emanate from the inner heart is not excellent at all! ‘No one is perfect is a common ubiquitous phrase embraced by many life mediocre whose thoughts and attitudes have not been provoked to perfection. You can become a perfectionist; yes I say you can.
Tips to attaining Excellence
- Be exceptional – I realized that for you to attain to perfection, then I needed to cease from ordinary or common things. You should exceptionally be the best that you can to be excellent. Avoid doing all that everyone is doing and outstand.
- Give extra effort – Mediocre would say, ‘I gave 100%’ Others would say ‘I gave my best’. If this can be justified, then excellent is not a choice, it is a must i.e. I ought to give 120%.
- Work out on your character – For one to be a perfectionist, it does not only depend on what you are, but also who you are and who you will become. This is your continual transformation (virtues and attitudes) for better, hence Excellency.
- Enthusiasm – Also called passion. It is your inner desire to achieve. You cannot succeed in anything without passion. Always get ‘want to’ then how-to will be automatic.
- Energy – Vitality is very vital. Always energize yourself to the course of action in the process of attaining an extra effort from the previous state.
- Environment – You need an internal environment that is very conducive i.e. packed with inner values, principles, convictions, aspirations, apprehensions, belief systems among others, for you to cultivate perfection. Program your inner environment and mindsets with Excellency. However, many have bombarded their mindsets and belief systems with a mediocre and inferior mentality. You are defined by who you are from within, whether black or white; not the place that you are. Enhance your internal environment as an icon for your Excellency in your external environment.
PERFECTION IS REAL AND ATTAINABLE